Seal Beach was officially incorporated in 1915, but the name was created earlier to promote real estate sales in what was then known a Bay City and Anaheim Landing.
On this date in 1914, The new Seal Beach name was publicized by an entry in twenty-fifth Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena.
According the Oregon Daily Journal, “Seal Beach had a great imitation seal, 15 feet long, in lifelike colors and attitude, around which, in the sand, children disported in bathing suits.”
The Oregon Daily Journal somehow neglected to mention this friendly gentleman.
– Michael Dobkins