On this date in 1938, two Seal Beach women were saved from gas asphyxiation by their friend, Mary Eckberg. Elizabeth White, 79, and her cousin, Mary Hide, were overcome by gas fumes at Mrs. White’s house at 225 17th Street. Mrs. Eckberg has observed the two women earlier apparently taking a nap and choose not to disturb them. Luckily, she returned later and, observing her friends in exactly the same positions as earlier, Mrs. Eckberg contacted the police. Mrs. Hide was well enough to recover at home, but Mrs. White stayed overnight at Community Hospital.
– Michael Dobkins