On this date in 1939, the Santa Ana Register reported that work on the new $110,000 pier was advancing.
According to a report made by Leon C. Michailes, a Public Works Administration engineer to Kenneth A. Godwin, the regional director for the PWA, 32 tons of reinforcing steel, 530 barrels of cement, 19,000 lineal feet of piling, and 360,000 board feet of lumber had been used to date in the pier construction.
The PWA had issued a grant for $49,090 towards the construction. The rest of the cost would be met locally.
– Michael Dobkins