On this date in 1913, the South Coast Improvement Association ran this ad in the Los Angeles Times.
The South Coast Improvement Association formed in 1912 and was comprised of the movers and shakers of Orange County real estate along the coast. Philip Stanton was its first president.
These men saw better roads and infrastructure improvements as key selling features for their individual communities and promoted a regional inter-connectivity and ease of travel to attract homeowners and tourists into the area. They advocated for extended Pacific Electric red car services along the coast and are largely responsible for the Coast Highway that we still enjoy (and sometimes curse) today.
– Michael Dobkins