On this date in 1916, the Orange County Board of Supervisors awarded a contract to Lee Garnsey to construct a road along the coast from Seal Beach to Huntington Beach. The price for three miles of road between Seal Beach and Huntington Beach? $16,900.
This was not a modern paved highway at this stage. It was a fenced dirt road that would be oiled to keep dust to a minimum. When ruts were worn into the road, they were filled with more dirt. The road opened in August 1917 after Seal Beach removed 600 feet of sand blocking road access and repaired the bridge over Anaheim Bay that ran parallel to the Pacific Electric bridge and connected to Electric Avenue.
This stretch of road was the start of a movement to extend what was then called a coast boulevard stretching from Seal Beach to Laguna Beach.
– Michael Dobkins